Sunday, April 11, 2010

Commentary on church activity

I had a meeting with Halie Stout (Relief Society president) today about visiting teaching (I am a district supervisor). We got to talking about how some sisters we know seem to have deep and outstanding testimonies (rock hard), but don’t always do what you would expect from someone with such a solid testimony. You don’t always see them at church; they’re not an active visiting teacher; they don’t participate in any activities; they just don’t seem to be truly converted. I understand that I look at this with blind eyes, because I probably don’t know any of them enough to make this kind of judgment. Who knows what they do behind the scenes or what they’re going through or what kind of intents are in their hearts; I might think differently if I knew. All the same, it boggles my mind. I’m not seeing a “follow-through” on their convictions, it seems. Perhaps there is a bigger moat in my own eye; I should probably cultivate more love for the people around me.

Halie and I discussed the unmatchable blessings that come from active membership in the church. Simply coming to Relief Society each week brings an unfailing strength to our testimonies every time. We would want that for everyone. Do they know what they’re missing? Is what they’re engaging in instead compensating for that? I would think not.

However, perhaps these are just our convictions and testimonies. Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses—something to bring to the table. Maybe these other peoples’ rock-hard testimonies are just as valuable whether or not they are active participators in the church and their callings. (Still, just saying that seems totally contradictory). Yet, I have to hand it to them because the way they bear testimony and feel love for others is beyond where I am at. I admire that. There is something to be admired in everyone. Regardless, I hold strong the belief that no matter who you are, it is imperative that you cultivate the strength of church activity. For the benefit of yourselves and others, but mostly for the building up of Zion.

1 comment:

Brian Olsen said...

When I read this I am reminded of Matthew 6. Where people may do things for different reasons, even if they think they are the right reasons. Also I am reminded of Mathew 7:20. They may draw near by their lips (Isaiah 29:13, 2 Nephi 27:25, JS-H 1:19), but by their acts (fruits) you shall know them. So in my opinion, if they have a testimony it is in an infant stage or they are just playing to the crowd.