Friday, December 11, 2009

A new day

Ah, another fresh new winter day. I've come to realize that I don't mind being cooped up inside all day from the cold. During the summer, I'd get stir crazy if I didn't get some fresh air a few times a day. Now that it's winter and awfully cold, I rather enjoy sitting around inside, looking at the pretty snow through the window, doing odds and ends around the house, enjoying the cozy warmness and playing christmas music. I'm less tempted to go shopping (though I may go today to get some grapefruit on a killer deal at sunflower market, and deliver brian's forgotten lunch). These inside winter days aren't so bad at all.

Last night, I was trying to figure out what it is about cooking that I like. I mean, shredding a carrot or de-thawing a chicken doesn't really delight me... but there's something about cooking that makes me happy. It must be the satisfaction I gain from making a good meal. Or perhaps it's simply exploring and trying out new recipes that gives me a little thrill. I've noticed that desserts are some of the most fun to make, but healthy foods are my favorite to eat. I feel yucky if I eat more than my share of sweets. I also gain some satisfaction by finding ways to use leftovers. The funny thing is that I can't say that I LOVE to cook, but there's just something about it that makes me happy.

1 comment:

Cidne said...

I'm the same way about cooking. I can't say that I LOVE to cook, but I really do enjoy making a good meal, especially for other people. It makes me feel good when I try a new recipe and it turns out really good.

I noticed that you said you make egg rolls the other night. Were they my mom's recipe? mmm I love my mom's egg rolls. I can't imagine them any other way! (But if your's were different, I'm sure they were good too....haha)