Saturday, December 19, 2009

About A Budget

On our trip to Idaho this weekend, Brian and I got to talking about our budget. Mostly it was me trying to figure out really how a budget should work. I do the budget. How strict should a budget be? How do you budget for the unforeseen necessities? What good is a budget if you are okay exceeding the allotment for one category? When is it okay to dip into savings for something (in the condition of paying it back quickly)? Are we in control of our money or is our money controlling us?

The hardest thing is figuring out the purpose of our budget. Sure, the budget is to help us not go haywire with our money. I think it's also a great way to evaluate where our money is going and push ourselves to be frugal. This gives me a sense of pride. The little details of a budget are what I struggle with most. I came to the conclusion in the car that there's no perfect way to sort your money and rule it. I feel that the most important thing to keep in mind is to BE CONSERVATIVE. If I "go over budget" on some category but feel that I was conservative or wise with my purchase nonetheless, then I'll think nothing of it. (Think of it: if you always over budgeted for things so that you never went over budget, where is the push to be frugal?) The real test comes at the end of a paycheck, when I've used that allotted money and I evaluate to see if I could have been MORE frugal on some things or if what I pulled out of savings for was legitimate, etc. Pulling out of savings is not (and should not) be a light thing. Only under the current circumstances in our lives do I feel justified on certain things. Once we have a real job, there should never be an excuse to pull from savings unless it is an emergency.

My final note is that I want you to know I LOVE the circumstances we are in. Yes, living pay check to pay check can be unnerving, but I really do love that it pushes us to be conservative and gives me pride in doing so. I love that we can even still save 10% of our income for savings (barely). I think living humbly also helps us recognize our many blessings. I'm grateful for God's tender mercies and opening the windows of heaven to us that we might not even have room to receive what he gives. Family has been most generous to us and I would be ungrateful not to give thanks to them and recognize their love. They are often the means by which God demonstrates his mercies.

No comments: