Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Mom's Advice

So after writing that last post, I decided to call my mom about the issue. She said she never really struggled with this problem (even with 8 kids... guess we were angels :) but she still had the most excellent advice that helped me.

She said it doesn't necessarily mean that Avery is jealous (which I agree), but that maybe she is trying to adjust with less one-on-one time and venting by being more disobedient- especially towards Aspen. Basic advice: try to do more things with Avery and involve her with anything I'm doing. I think this seems to get to the heart of the matter (which is hard to recognize sometimes). My mom is right; we've been pushing ourselves to work on the house and I'm trying to do better at meals and cleaning that I'm losing touch with Avery.

My mom admitted that she wasn't great at house cleaning and it got worse with each child, but she was okay with that in order to spend more time with us. I don't like the idea of giving up daily house work (although that'd be nice, right?), but I need to stop badgering myself about it to the point that I can't have fun with my kids and neglect their true needs while trying to multi-task. They are more important than the house work. First things first.

I now have a shout-out to all stay-at-home moms: GO YOU! Being a mom takes TIME and SACRIFICE! I think there's no better way to becoming like Heavenly Father. I can't imagine how some can do both mommy and work and still meet their childrens' needs because it's hard enough just being a mom full time. I'm glad I have the opportunity to be a mother and I'm grateful for this opportunity to learn and grow. It's hard, but I know it's worth it.

Thanks, mom.

1 comment:

Adri and Russ Lee said...

I've been thinking about your situation from a Child Development standpoint, but I know that what I've learned in class is different than real life. I'm glad that your mom helped and I hope that you find some success with Avery. The only thing I would add (again - not that I have any first-hand experience) is to make sure that if you make more time for Avery that sometimes you also make time for yourself so you don't go crazy from never being able to think or just have quiet time. I can't wait til I have toddlers so that I can get wisdom from you - so keep learning new tricks!