Thursday, March 19, 2009

Poor Baby's Bottom!

I could use a little advice on this one. Whenever her little bum gets all sore and red (like right now), I'm not really sure which product I should use and how/when to use them. I have: baby powder, baby oil, vaseline, generic diaper rash cream, baby lotion, and I think that's it. I've heard of something called "butt paste" that works really well, but never tried it. I'm sort of in a panic because her bottom is just so red! Would the powder make her bottom chaff more, or is it good at this time to keep her dry? If I use the rash cream, how often? The cream doesn't seem to be making it any better so I have a feeling I should get a better brand or something? It looks like it could even be making it worse so I hope she's not allergic. Or perhaps I'm changing her diaper too often or not enough? Too often means I'm wiping her bottom a lot and maybe the wipes are irritating her. But is it better to wipe anyway than leave any urine to soak in? Ah, I just don't know. Any advice??

5 comments:

Angela said...

First let me say what a cutie you have....here is what I have learned about diaper rash. I'm not sure on what creams are the best (my dad is a pharmacist so he mixes me up the good stuff). But one thing you want to do is let her air out her bum for probably 10 minutes at a time at least twice a day...that will help a LOT! I'd just lay her on a towel if you're not sure she won't pee. You want to apply whatever cream you are using at every diaper change so its a barrier against the wetness. Don't be afraid of using the cream too much. If you try other creams and it still doesn't clear up you probably want to go see the doctor because she could have a yeast infection. Hope that makes sense and helps!!

Anonymous said...

First of all, she's beautiful! You remind me of me! I used to freak out w/ every little thing. I agree w/ the first post. I always let them "air out" and hopefully that will help the rash to dry out alittle. I have always used A & D Ointment, the original, NOT the white pasty stuff. Just cake her bottom in it everytime you change her. Hope this helps!

Bonnie Olsen said...

Thank you so far for your comments; these have been very helpful!

Dave and Julie said...

I second it all. The only other thing I'd add is to just take it easy on how you wipe. (blot if you can and frequent diaper changes.) My rule of thumb has always been do to them what you'd want done to you. I apply that to every ounce of being a parent! Also, never hesitate to take her to see the doc. A first time mom needs reassurance and that is what a good doc is there for. On my blog I have a link to my favorite doc online. GOOD LUCK!

Josh and Cambree said...

Diaper rash is the pits! Here's what I've done for Nate: Urine is sterile,so if it's just a wet diaper, I take it easy on the wiping. For poopy problems, I would use a wipe to get most of the goods, and then just gave him a quick bath (holding him under the faucet or a real bath). Then I just let him dry pretty good before putting on a diaper. I use a generous amount of cream (I was told by someone that powder is no longer recommended), and I usually like the cream that is white because it seems to work better for longer. I hope that helps! Your little Avery is such a doll!