Sunday, August 19, 2012
Ward Choir Director
This is my first experience directing a choir of any type ever! Been in plenty a choir, but this directing thing is a whole new ball game for me. I felt that maybe someday I'd direct a ward choir - the idea seemed kind of cool while I was in college - and now that it's here, I feel small to say the least. But, I also feel a lot of encouragement that gives me courage! I also feel honored to be given this calling (It says that people see me as a musical intelligence, in some way or another, I suppose).
Today was our first performance in church (with me directing anyway) and it was awesome! We sang "How Can I Keep From Singing" which is such a beautiful piece and it came together lovely.
You never know how many choir members will show up the day of performance which can make one fidgety, but I knew that things always work out no matter what. I have confidence in that.
I also like how some of my own choir experiences start flooding in my mind and help me know how to direct practices and what to work on. It's all there, just has been dormant I guess.
I'm kind of excited about my new calling.... and I have lots to learn as well. I like to think of a couple of my favorite choir directors and envision myself mimicking them. Who knows if that's what's happening! Either way, it's nice to find a groove of how it feels comfortable to direct and then look for ways to improve. wohoo! here we go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Would LOVE to be in your choir :) It's funny how the skills and talents just lie dormant and then when called upon we can be made equal to the task. Make it fun and remember what you love about choir and singing and it will be awesome! From the sounds of things "How can I keep from singing" was a great start. Keep it up!
Post a Comment